Monday, November 29, 2010

Unleashing The Myths That Bind US: Critiquing Cartoon and Society

This article and the proposal to critique cartoons and society in particular Disney movies is a double edge sword for me. This situation reminds me of last spring semester when I was in Children's Literature and heard the real fairy tales for the first time. I am glad that Disney changed the ending to "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" because the ending is too cruel for a young child to see or read about in a story. The issue of this "secret education" that a child gains from a Disney movie is not preventable and is not all that bad. I am the perfect example of a child who went to Disney World about 7 times throughout my childhood and found that it brought my imagination to life! I am a kid at heart or my family and friends would tell me to grow-up. Cartoons and society's portrayal of characters is harsh, but stories will everyone equal does not sell and is not history. These stories were an escape for the time period because the child during the time of these original fairy tales was thought to be a mini adult. Having literature that is designed for children and their thoughts is a great starting point, but hopefully Disney books get them reading and them they discover "Bridge to Terabithia" and create their own world.
A child's impressionable minds can be molded, but it is for the parent to have discussion and the child to exchange the roles of being the villain verses the princess when playing barbies or real life dress-up etc. I do see the harm in say Cinderella's gender roles and lack of education which is a common theme for women in Disney movies (besides Belle in Beauty of the Beast). But, Disney is a fantasy, an imaginary world that a child enters without needing to know the right from wrong so critiquing this should occur later in life. This is not to say that parents or family friends should not have discussions of the reasons of being a princess and give them a taste of real princesses. I would definitely discuss and question Cinderella's feelings in terms of being locked up, not being able to stand-up for herself as an individual that possess selfworth (as an advocate for herself), and why does she requires a prince to save her or not a princess or anyone at all. I recognize that I have been manipulated by media and other cartoons, but hopefully the media that is introduced is not all from one sources and the home provides a variety of outlets to explore media.
As a young child my favorite movie to watch over an over again was the black and white film "HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME" (1939). My dad and I watched black and white films and I would request them over Disney movies in some cases. The "secret education" that cartoons and our society form is and will always be there. As an informed viewer and reader you must lead discussions and introduce a variety of media to counteract a saturation of misleading Disney character ideals and society's social inequalities. In terms of my favorite Disney film it was "Sword in the Stone". I enjoy the boy learning how to survive without a strong family. He also discovers his own power with in to remove the sword. Also, the issue of not wanting the sword after getting it demonstrated being humble and not desiring fame. The two wizards during the wizards dual is marvelous because a child learns that your actions do have repercussions, but they might not be visible. This invisible repercussions and be explored deeper in Disney films and can be discussed in terms of visible or not and are the two as hurtful or is one worse.
Now the Help Me Syndrome is say Popeye as the article points out is true. But, that is a stage that children go through as they develop and get older. As child who once again watched cartoons with my dad every morning before he went to work for about two hours I was manipulated by media under his watch. Fortunately like Olive my dad or my family rescued me during my mistakes or moments of weakness to see that if I want something I have to get it done. Popeye is a unique character because he has a speech impediment and was abandoned by his father who in some cartoon stripes or cartoon films just chooses to not be a part of his life. Also Olive is not attractive like the princess's in Disney films or stories. She has her own job as a waitress and supports herself. I like the idea that you don't fall in love right away like in the Disney films. My parents would say they fell in love over time and my dad had to prove himself and work to show his love like Popeye. Anyways I see the point this article is getting at, but I would not enter this discussion with children because I think other sources are more appropriate to target these issues. I would hope in this life own childhood stories can stay happy and have happy endings! Life is not about happy endings so why rush into that reality. A child learns that, but finds hope in their imagination, which I still imagine all the time about my endings and hope that others still possess the ability to imagine and dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment