Monday, September 20, 2010

Crafting Writers K-6 by Hale

In the reading of Crafting Writers I enjoyed the chapter of categories of specific crafts. I found that when reading I really enjoy the process more when I can use my five senses and describing of the environments (backgrounds). THE TELL-TALE HEART
by Edgar Allan Poe, 1843 demonstrates many categories of specific crafts. I realize now reading needs to more interactive for me, therefore using the five senses keeps me engaged and picturing the environment so I can imagine myself in the setting while reading it.
Chapter four is divided into five main topics: the five senses, show not tell, dialogue, sentence variety, and word choice. In my own writing rather than reading preference, I become very stuck on making sure I do not repeat myself, begin with different words, and seem to miss the purpose. Word choice is a difficult concept for me to apply because I find that I feel limited in what I want to convey to the reader. Now after reading this chapter I feel more equipped to try some of these new strategies which I might have known at one point but have forgotten.
Chapter six was a good tool for our assignment in looking at our student's writing samples. I had trouble gauging where to make the cut off on what the student should know and what could be demonstrated in their writing sample. Seeing the three parts of the primary level: drawing, writing words, and basic craft was a great foundation to build up my students writing sample. I had the cheetah topic sample and the student most likely not a primary level. Therefore, requiring some of the primary elements to be present is necessary. In class the second part of the cheetah writing sample gave both groups difficulty in comprehending what the student intended to convey to the reader. The drawing component was the key hint to the reader because the claws where huge compared to a typical cheetah's claw. Once Professor Wohlwend told us it was retractable claws it all made sense. This student was filling in their gap of weak writing, by enhancing the picture which still demonstrated the student's willingness to write something that he/she did not know how to spell. I see this book as an instrument to use in identify students writing styles and creating and enhancing their writing crafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment