Sunday, September 19, 2010

Trying out new spelling strategies

This past week on Monday in class when we discussed spelling as it sounds and spelling as it looks, I quickly realized I used only one strategy typically. I decided to test out the spell it as it sounds and it was amazing and produced confidence and willingness to be wrong. I have a little sister who I was matched with int he Big Brothers Big Sister program here in Bloomington. Our car rides are a good time for us to talk through writing because I am driving obviously : ) I asked my little to draw animals and then spell them. At first she was very concerned and demanded I help her correctly spell the words. Thankfully, with patience and willingness to try she experienced with spelling bunny using how it "sounds". The result as "bune" and I was so proud! Immediately, I encouraged her and told her great job and yes that is how it is spelled. I was worried about this decision, but I knew it would pay off. So she continued silently as I drove us to my home. When we arrived to my surprise she spelled horse and frog correctly and tried turtle and fish. I was happy to see her believe in her ability and not rely on me for the answer. This is a completely new philosophy for me and I am still working on how it applies to me.

1 comment:

  1. That is exciting that you were able to see results in your teaching. With all of this new information, what I really want to know is how it works with students. I know what you mean about being worried to encourage "imaginative" spelling, there is such an instinct to correct them.

    ReplyDelete