Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sound Systems: Anna Lyon and Paula Moore

In the book I found the information to be overwhelming at the beginning and hard to recall my introduction to letters, sounds, and words as a child. As a teacher I hope to use more multisensory, sequential, Dibels, and word boards. However, a couple years ago I was introduced to the Orton - Gillingham approach. Orton - Gillingham is based on patterns and sounds through language-based, multisensory, structured sequential and cumulative, cognitive, and flexible teaching methods. The sound systems is just a basic outline of teaching phonological awareness, phonemic awareness, and phonics through linguistic concepts. However, on pg. 14 figure 2.1 I struggle to believe that chart because as a late reader the different stages to be so start to finish. The emphasis of looking as well as hear is difficult because not all see the same thing and can be interpreted differently. I am not sure all children have the innate working memory to memorize sight words, but that predictor can be false for a student to be a successful reader. I know that children can memorize words, sounds, etc. but the meaning is left out. In the section of Learning to Look as Well Hear: points out that children have this ability to call upon phonics associations to apply to unknown words once at-least 40 sight words are built up in their repertoire requires some examples and explanations. If a child has a reading disability of some kind sight words can be memorized, but the key tool of phonics associations can be jumbled or lost. I would like to understand more about phonological awareness, phonemic awareness, and phonics to find gaps in childrens' reading development.

A couple years ago I was lucky to work for CEEP the Center for Evaluation and Education Policy to perform some evaluations for Reading First using DIBELS. I find DIBELS to be a great tool that sound be used in all classrooms to track reading progress. I hope wherever I am placed within the next three semesters I am introduced to the teacher's side of DIBELS and other tracking methods.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very interested in learning more about the CEEP and what exactly you did with them. I know nothing about DIBELS, but you seem to be impressed with it's progress. I'm sure everyone would find it beneficial if you could elaborate about them in class! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete