Saturday, October 30, 2010

Seedfolks

The book Seedfolks reminds me of The Good Earth by Pearl Buck, as the beginning starts with an Asian child wanting to please her family, in particular her deceased father, by planting Lima beans. As a child myself I grew-up out in the country and we had an one acre garden which I learned quickly built my character. I have many memories from working the garden every summer and wishing I could do as I pleased, but was told the garden must be weeded and the vegetables and fruits picked before I could have my time for myself. The book Seedfolks focuses on the work aspect by pointing out the issues of water and the heat of the day was not a desired time to work. Although, if you were me and was attending tennis camp each morning and open gym, the heat of the day was the only time left to have it done before dad got home! I appreciate the strict garden rules and how it was a form of punishment, but when we would get to sell our vegetables and fruits my sisters and I were overjoyed to finally reap the benefits of our labor. My character Leona is a man who knows if you want anything done, you have to get up and do it yourself. As the oldest child, I had to demonstrate to my sisters how to work in the garden and to take little breaks in order to be praised for our work rather than being scolded for our lack of effort. If I ever wanted them to work in the garden for me or if we all wanted to go swimming that day the garden was collaboration that required no arguing just working to get the job done. Leona realized if he wanted the trashed removed from the vacant lot, it was up to him to make it happen as the smell of the trash spoke loud and clear for all the Public Health Department to recognize there was an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment