Saturday, October 30, 2010

What a character: Bringing Subjects to Life

As I read this chapter I kept thinking about Nathaniel Hawthorne style of writing because it is very descriptive and the characters are explained in fine detail. But, the more I read about the key idea of showing not telling made me wonder about what writer I knew who did an amazing job of that for a younger readers. I decided it would have to be Katherine Paterson who wrote Bridge to Terabithia. This excerpt is a great example of strong verbs like on page 65: "Ba-room, ba-room, ba-room, baripity, baripity, baripity, baripity—Good. His dad had the pickup going." I like the description of sound and many readers can relate to the start of a beat-up truck.
Although, I am not sure about page 66 Kill Cliches. I have been told by some that I tend to be a flowery writer, aside from when I am writing a typically research proposal or critic in psychology, which is not always a bad thing. So if I was using a cliches, it might be a great lead or closer to a thought. I would hope at least to see some cliches in a draft one of my future students because it reminds one of what kind of description they might to elaborate on in that section. In terms of the different drafts, I hope to see this kind of writing occur within the younger grades. I can't remember ever writing drafts unless it was a large paper that my family was working on with me for a school project. Writing drafts needs to be looked upon in a light that is honing in on exactly what happened or what one felt, heard, smelled, tasted, remarked, etc. like when you are on trail as a witness. The witness needs to be concise, but descriptive to recall the event for the jury and the judge. This might be an intimidating concept, but it also adds importance to the concept of their writing. I struggle with getting my point across and love to go off on tangents! So to reminding myself there is a direct question that I am answering like during the trail I am more likely to redirect myself! When a witness is being crossed examined it emphasizes the importance of reliving the event and being concise so the judge and jury can understand so the decision that is made is based on facts of the event as it really happened.

2 comments:

  1. I think that's the problem with cliches -- they allow a student to say "kind of" what they are thinking by choosing a common way to express it. The goal is to have them think more carefully about what they are thinking and express it in original, more true/accurate words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too caught the descriptive bug. You have inspired me to read my childrens copy of "Bridge to Tarabitha". I got it for them after watching the movie, backwards I know but I did not know it was a book until the movie.
    Arthur, I love your comment!

    ReplyDelete